Google+





Thursday, March 08, 2012

From Katy Perry To Metallica: Music Loves 3D Feature Films!

Yes, both Katy Perry and Metallica have confirmed they are working on 3D feature length movies. Both are also likely to be documentaries with some concert footage but also behind the scenes work similar in style to the Justin Bieber / Jon Chu film NEVER SAY NEVER.

While I enjoy some of the music from these artists, I've never considered myself a fan. What I am very interested in is the movies themselves and how they intend on achieving their goals cinematically.

For me the bar was set extremely high from the outset of modern 3D through Catherine Owen's U2 3D. The cinematography was jaw dropping and if any filmmaker can revisit this level of achievement I will be there. To this day I will never forget how the sea of humanity flowing on the screen in 3D merged with the heads of the theater audience in front of me... I WAS THERE!

Katy Perry said via Twitter: "READY FOR HUGE NEWS?! FINALLY, my MOVIE is coming out with Paramount this summer!

It also looks like reality TV's Dan Cutforth and Jane Lipsitz (PROJECT: GREENLIGHT, PROJECT RUNWAY) will be directing. They also did the aforementioned Justin Bieber 3D movie.

Meanwhile, Metallica has landed a solid director in Nimrod Antal (PREDATORS, VACANCY)! This is a huge coop if you ask me. Antal is very talented. The 100 million record selling hard rock group has legions and legions of fans and will surely do very well at the box office as well.

Drummer Lars Ulrich said: "I’ve been a fan of Nimróds since his first Hungarian film, Kontroll, showed up at Cannes in 2004 and blew everybody away. I’ve watched with excitement his career in Hollywood blossom over the last few years. Within five minutes of meeting him I was addicted to his enthusiasm, his take on the creative process and his “thinking outside of the box” personality. Let’s get on with it!!!"

Director Antal: "Metallica has always been a huge part of my life, and it’s an incredible opportunity when we get to work with our heroes. We are going to harness the powerful and almighty energy of Metallica’s live shows, inject a narrative into it, and shoot it in 3D to elevate the entire experience."

So good luck to the production crews! Looking forward to see if they can hit their lofty goals and in maintaining the momentum of 3D music artist based features!

Sources: Antimusic | Toronto.com | THR

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.