Google+





Monday, December 14, 2009

New York Critics Explode With Awards - AVATAR wins NYFCO; AVATAR Premiere Press Conference AND Why Jason Reitman Is Full Of It...

**UPDATE: Wow - ever have one of those days? The New York Film Critics ONLINE and the New York Film Critics CIRCLE *both* decided to announce their winners practically at the same time! LOL! So AVATAR won with the NYFCO and THE HURT LOCKER won with NYFCC...

Jim here. We knew this would happen and should continue to happen for AVATAR - The New York Film Critics ONLINE have selected James Cameron's AVATAR as the years best picture!!

Two picture awards went to 3D movies: AVATAR and Pixar's UP (Best Animation). Had we only had a 3D entry for Best Foreign Film we would have had the trifecta. Next year...

I also like their other choices like Kathyrn Bigelow for Best Director (THE HURT LOCKER) **although Cameron should have prevailed here - no doubt in my mind** and Christoph Waltz for Best Supporting Actor (INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS).

The other top movies cited for 2009 include ADVENTURELAND, FANTASTIC MR. FOX, THE HURT LOCKER, INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS, THE MESSENGER, PRECIOUS, A SERIOUS MAN, TWO LOVER, UP, and UP IN THE AIR (Jason Reitman).

I also want to say publicly that I find it in incredibly bad taste for director Jason Reitman to say about AVATAR:
"I have to admit that I don't like the new Avatar trailer. Everyone likes the new one. It's the one everyone gets excited about. I'm like, "I want to love this movie SO bad." I'm the biggest Cameron fan. I love every one of his films. I read all this hype about the new trailer. I went and watched and I was like, "Oh. It still seems pretty goofy to me."

Then he continues his bashing of 3D: "I guess so. But I don't like 3D. I'm almost apt to see the movie in 2D."

So let me be clear here - everyone is entitled to an opinion, absolutely. But when you make statements like AVATAR is goofy and I hate 3D; I am going to see it in 2D... and you are a director that is supposedly up for awards the same year as Cameron - you come off as being very arrogant and selfish. If he had stopped at saying I have yet to be convinced of 3D and let's let the movie speak for itself as I have not seen it yet - then he comes across as being truthful, yet diplomatic. Instead Reitman comes across as stunningly ignorant and self-serving. He is doing himself no favors here - he has to think before he talks.

**AND**

HeyUGuys posted a nice video of the AVATAR press conference that some of the cast gave at the blue carpet ceremonies in London. And, yes, Worthington drops the 'F" bomb at the end of the clip - gotta love how candid that guy is. I would not expect, nor want it any other way:




Congratulations to EVERYONE involved with AVATAR!
Cameron, Landau, Horner, Fox, cast and crew and of course the immeasurable talent of Weta and the other CG magicians. Winning the NYFCO award is just the first step and I wish you best of luck at the box office.


And Jason Reitman... I can pretty much guarantee you NOT winning anything talking like that.

Contact Me

Jim Dorey
Editor-in-Chief
jim (at) marketsaw (dot) com

All contents Copyright © 2006-2021, MarketSaw Media. All Rights Reserved. All copyrights and trademarks on this website belong to their respective owners.